I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas with friends, family, and loved ones! I certainly did. This blog is not only about financial freedom, but is also about shopping smart—getting the most out of your money!
Just like Black Friday, the day after Christmas is a huge shopping day. I have found that shopping the day after Christmas has just as good if not better sales than Black Friday.
Here are four tips for after Christmas shopping that will SAVE you money!
- Buy your Christmas items for next year NOW!! Many retailers will mark their Christmas decorations, cards, trees, wreaths, ornaments, etc. down 50% and more. Small drug stores like Walgreens, CVS, etc. are great for this type of shopping because they mark down fast, and the traffic in these stores won’t be as heavy as a Target or Walmart. You may get a wider variety of items to choose from as well.
- In a place like Upstate New York, we sometimes wear sweaters, boots, and coats until MAY! Department stores are going to heavily mark down these items to make room for spring clothing. Make that trip to Macys, JC Penney’s or Lord and Taylor to see what you can find!
- Don’t forget your coupon!! I am a coupon queen. Pretty much every retailer has some type of coupon for this time of a year whether it’s a dollar amount or percentage off. Many times you can use these coupons on top of deals that have been discounted! Ask a sales associate if there are any coupons, check the newspaper, print out coupons from online before you leave, use your smart phone to look up coupons…I cant get enough of coupons!!
- Don’t just pick anything from the rack or the shelf. Be selective on what you choose. Just because it is a good deal doesn’t mean it’s necessarily supposed to go home with you! The goal here is to save on what you already want to buy! Try to make a budget and/or list so that you don’t overspend.
What are some ways you save during the after Christmas sales? Comment below!
- JC Penney After Christmas Sales: Hit the one day doorbuster event on Thursday (examiner.com)
- After Christmas Shopping Another Way to Save Money (kstp.com)
- Target After Christmas Sales 2013: Use red card and save extra five percent (examiner.com)
- Six tricks to reduce Christmas Spending (blackandwhitegh.wordpress.com)