Disclaimer: This post will not be sugarcoated. If you are not ready to continue, click here!
Women are a force to be reckoned with. We were created to be purposeful in our being, we create life, we are adaptive, we are clothed with strength and dignity, we are intelligent, innovative, creative, passionate..I could go on and on. We are amazing!! So why is it that with all of these qualities, we are taught to depend on a man to financially sustain us? Society has done (a little) better to empower us as women but we are still compartmentalized into what we can be empowered to be and do.
Ladies, a man should NEVER be a financial plan. What do I mean by this? Do not suspend, discontinue, or wait to create your financial goals just because you have a man or are waiting for a man. Why? Because,
- A relationship with a man is not guaranteed, and neither is his money. You could be with him today and he (or you!) could be gone tomorrow.
- You do not want to build a lifestyle that you can’t afford on your own. Why wait for something that you can build for yourself? If you like the finer things in life, what can you do for yourself to make that happen? Prioritize what is important to you. You may have to sacrifice now, to gain later. No matter what, don’t build your lifestyle based on someone else’s bank account.
- Never let a man’s money control your relationship – You never want to be caught up in a situation where you are unhappy but you can’t leave because your a man has a financial hold on you- whether that is in a car payment, paying your rent, your credit card bills…whatever! You know that saying is, “Aint nothin goin on but the rent” or “It’s cheaper to keep her (or him in this case!)”
- You don’t want to be in the dark about your financial situation. This applies to us all regardless of relationship status. Financial planning and decisions should be made collectively, even if there is only one income in the house. Communication is so important. Don’t depend on a man to take care of what is your responsibility too!
- It’s just not wise! You are responsible for yourself. A man is NOT a financial plan!
Making a solid financial plan for yourself is empowering! A goal oriented woman is much more attractive than a woman who is waiting for a man to validate her.