Growing up, I was told that I was beautiful, I was told that I could be anything I wanted to be, that I had a beautiful spirit, and that God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind. And I believed it. I still believe it. But, as the world came at me, my self-esteem was reduced to nothing. I had been given all of these tools to build myself up, but I didn’t know how to use them.
As a young girl, I was different than many of my peers and because of that, I was a target for name calling, bullying, threats, you name it; and my naivety caused me to be heartbroken by people who I thought cared about me. There was nothing more that my parents or loved ones could do. They provided me with love and support, and everything that I needed or wanted. From the outside looking in, there was no reason for me to have low self-esteem. There was something that I had to find within myself to see what others saw in me. That’s the most important thing. What do you think about yourself? It took me a long time to build my self-esteem back up…and honestly I am still working on it.
When I am having those days when I am not feeling that great, whether it’s not feeling adequate enough, pretty, beautiful, or worthy, I have to remind myself who I am and whose I am: a daughter of God with purpose. YOU are a daughter and son of God with purpose.
- “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Marvelous are your works, and my soul knows it very well.” Psalm 139:14
- “You are all together beautiful my love. There is no flaw in you.” Song of Solomon 4:7
- “Nevertheless, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.” Romans 8:37
- “Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praise is the woman who lives in the fear of God.” Proverbs 31:30
- “But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.” 1Peter 2:9-10.
- “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10
- “What’s the price of two or three pet canaries? Some loose change, right? But God never overlooks a single one. And he pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail—even numbering the hairs on your head! So don’t be intimidated by all this bully talk. You’re worth more than a million canaries.” Luke 12:6-7
- “And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Lord.” Luke 1:45
- “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10
- “God is within her, she will not fail; God will help her at break of day.” Psalm 46:5
The only person that is best at being you is YOU! Love yourself fully and unconditionally. Value yourself. God doesn’t make mistakes. You are priceless and irreplaceable.